Arati Sureddi

Arati Sureddi

Questrom 2007 | Founder - Lotus Alliance

Arati graduated from Boston University Questrom School of Business in 2007 and went on to pursue her passion in the not for profit industry. Since then she has founded her own nonprofit, LOTUS alliance, which addresses human trafficking and forced labor through socially responsible tourism.

Arati Sureddi graduated from Boston University Questrom School of Business in 2007 and went on to pursue her interests in the nonprofit industry. This passion began in high school and upon receiving a scholarship based on her community service work she began studying at Questrom in 2003. Arati was very involved in student life while at Boston University: she chaired Casino Night for three years, ran a benefit concert for Tsunami relief and worked as a TA in the Public and Nonprofit Department in GSM. Despite all this, it was still difficult for her to assimilate to Questrom.

During her junior year Sureddi took an introduction to nonprofits course. It was the first year the course was offered, and the students that took it formed a close bond. She describes this group as the “black sheep” of Questrom. The class focused on triple bottom lines, character traits of successful social entrepreneurs, and scaling impactful organizations – subject areas that captured her attention far more than the for profit business principles that were being expounded in Questrom’s core curriculum. However, Arati says, “[This class] didn’t change my outlook, it reinforced my business principles and taught me how to run a mission driven organization more effectively.” Along with this course, she strongly values what she learned in OB221 and the financial management courses she took. However, it was more than just these courses that led her to her current career. Between sophomore and junior year, Arati traveled to Australia to volunteer. At this point she claims, “I knew without a doubt in the world that there was nothing else I wanted to do” and with what she had learned at Questrom, she realized it was feasible.

“I knew without a doubt in the world that there was nothing else I wanted to do”

She explains that “at the end of the day it wasn’t about the courses. Having mentors and advisors who cared about me, whether or not they were able to help me achieve my goals, made all the difference for me.” Many Questrom students search for mentors but struggle in finding the right person. Arati’s advice is that if you feel strongly about wanting someone to be your mentor, it’s probably because they have achieved what you want to achieve or they have the same values as you. If you feel this way, it’s likely they will as well. Looking back on her search for mentorship, Arati reflects, “I just stuck my head out there and asked.” She was willing to take that step and ask for help, and for her that was what it took to get the advice she needed.

“I just stuck my head out there and asked”

Post-graduation, Arati worked for the Institute for Nonprofit Management and Leadership out of the Executive Leadership Center at Questrom. She was then recruited out of INML to India to consult on a similar program. Following, Sureddi backpacked through Southeast Asia and came across an organization in Thailand with which she worked for 2.5 years to turn around. She has traveled all over the world at this point, and has volunteered in Greece, Brazil and Australia as well. Since graduating, Arati has focused her work on social enterprise, working in business development positions. She has found that the most important part of finding happiness in your work is finding people whose values match your own.

“Success won’t be measured in dollars, it will be measured in actions”

The nonprofit industry isn’t for everyone. Arati stressed that in order to succeed you have to really love it and you have to really earn it. Success won’t be measured in dollars, it will be measured in actions. She finds that, often, in the for profit world “you just have to fit in a box and you either do or you don’t” and you keep trying until you do, but “there are no boxes in the nonprofit world. You have to make your own way, although that seems to be changing as millennials are more keen to have meaningful careers.”

Arati has successfully done so. She has founded her own social enterprise called LOTUS Alliance, which “addresses human trafficking and forced labor, funding job training for adult survivors through a socially responsible online travel agency .” Arati continues to fight for a cause she cares deeply about, and follow her passion to promote social justice.

Jan 7, 2015